7.02.2011

Happy Effing Canada Day!

At times, I'm so proud to be Canadian. When compared to the States, I'm so proud of so much that we have up here. Our health care, our freedoms, our multiculturalism. It really makes Canada Day such a joyous celebration. But then, I get down to talking to some 'actual Canadians' and it really makes me angry. I think that we're such a free and tolerant society, but then it's like trying to talk to people about gender equality or race or religion and you see that, even though we try to pretend that everything is fair and equal, it's still like we're living in the 50's.

Trying to make people see that, just because women are now becoming educated, it doesn't mean that there is gender equality. So, women are lawyers. Fine. Let's take this example. They go to work as lawyers and that's all fine and cool, but say they decide to also have kids. They most likely will have to take time off for parental leave, or cut their hours back so that they can pick their kids up from daycare. No 16 hour days for them. And this guy that Emily and I were talking to is like 'but that's their choice ... women can take time off to have kids, just like guys can take time off, too ... if they want to go to like Mexico or whatever'. So, women "get to take time off for kids" and men get to have vacations?! WTF!?

And I try so hard to relate to individuals that haven't had the opportunity to go to university, but I find it increasingly harder. And women going along with it "well, I'm a single mom and I support my kid" -- but it's not really like you have a choice, do you! Where's the man in all of this 'well, he pays child-support'. So fine, that's the economics, but what about the non-paid labour? What about all of the hours of cleaning diapers and laundry and cooking and and and and and....!? It's like they just follow along with their own subordination!

It's just so frustrating being one of the few 'educated' individuals in my circle. I don't want to make anyone feel bad, but how can they possibly believe this shit? I don't want to make them feel bad for not going to university, but how can you not understand that certain groups are subordinated and they're not "naturally" that way? Women aren't BORN to be lesser individuals. Neither are gays. Or minority groups. Blacks. First nations. Etc. Etc.  It's just so frustrating sometimes, being the only liberal in the room.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Comments are awesome, so show me some love!
<3 xo