5.13.2012

On Mother's Day

I've been laying low for the past couple months.  I feel like it's been a whirlwind since we came back from Toronto in March.  Chef had been working nights in the lobby lounge and not getting home until one-thirty in the morning, while I had to be up and out to work at quarter to eight. But, Chef just moved to days this week and now he's eight to four-thirty, so we can actually see eachother at night and eat dinner together! We still won't have any days off, but at least we're not unconscious around eachother all the time!  Still, it's Mother's Day and I had plans for us to take my mom out for brunch at Van Dusen Botanical Gardens this afternoon but had to shrink the reservation for two since he couldn't get the day off.

People ask me all the time about having kids, and the thought just scares me.  I love my Chef and it would make me so happy if we could, but the thought of parenting alone is terrifying.  I think people outside of the industry don't fully realize how incredibly lonely it can be.  And is that really fair?  If he's always gone, that leaves me. And that means no more late nights at the library or work, no following my own passions.  And it means planning Mother's Day by myself and spending it with the kids alone.  I'm not sure if I'm up for that.

And finally, what would a Mother's Day post be without a photo of me and my momma?!  Isn't she purdy?!

3 comments:

The Fit Flosser said...

Such a lovely photo of you and your momma. :)
Hope you are well. xoxo

Angelique said...

I believe we women, are all super women and can do it all, especially if married to a chef. ;) We do have to take on a lot being married to a chef, and adding mom to that would make things even more challenging. I know I don't know you, but I bet you could do it. :) We don't have kids yet, but I have a few friends that are also married to a chef and have kids and the happiness of being a mom seems to take over. :)

Carlene said...

Thanks for the thoughts, ladies.
I know it's possible to do, but it's scary. But I think motherhood is scary. It's unknown and important, and always the self-doubter, I worry about it.

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Comments are awesome, so show me some love!
<3 xo